Watch our short introduction:
At the University of Leicester we provide access and support for two software packages:
Both packages allow you to collect and store references, have a Word toolbar to insert citations and bibliographies and to store and annotate PDFs.
Why might you prefer EndNote?
- It is very popular in certain subjects and you might find that your colleagues/supervisors are using it.
- If you wish to use the Law referencing style OSCOLA then you will need to use EndNote.
- If you are using a footnote style that requires short titles - EndNote can be customised better for this than RefWorks, and has a wider range of reference types.
- Be aware - the University license only covers the use of the EndNote desktop software on university owned computers. You can sync your desktop version with an online account to use at home, but the online account has less features than the desktop version.
Why might you prefer RefWorks?
- It is online software so you can access it wherever you have internet access and across multiple machines.
- If you use GoogleDocs - it has a Add-In (toolbar) for GoogleDocs.
- If you use Libre/OpenOffice - it has a quick cite function to create citations and bibliographies for non-Word applications.